The theme Educate will focus on advocacy, formal political activity, and organizing. We wanted to explore ways to use your voice to work towards social change.
Community Partner Conversation - Public Policy and Advocacy
Tuesday February 16, 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Join us for a discussion about public policy and advocacy with Michael Dahl from HOME Line. Learn about advocacy in your community, find ways to get involved, and share your ideas with others. This event has passed but watch the recording!
IGNITE the Capital: Minnesota
Thursday February 11, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Join IGNITE for a virtual IGNITE the Capitol, where you’ll become an expert in digital advocacy and learn to use your political power in new ways. You'll learn:
- The basics of why it is critical your voice is heard.
- How to be an effective advocate.
- The ins and outs of your local and state lawmaking process.
Black History Month Events- Activist Panel
Wednesday February 17, 6:00 p.m.
Hear from local activists as they share their stories and learn about ways that you can get involved!
Take Action MN Phone/Text Bank to Stop Line 3
Various Dates in February
Moms Demand Action
We Are Still Here: A Tribal History- Tuesday, February 26th at 7:00 PM
Reflect through art-
- Freedom Rising: I Am the Story
- In the Presence of Our Ancestors: Southern Perspectives in African American Art
- To Beautify and Protect: Miao Clothing and Jewelry from China
- Wings of Hope 2020
Lunch and Learn: More than Sad for Parents
February 24th, 2021: 12:00-1:00pm
Places to volunteer that focus on advocacy:
- HOME Line
- OutFront Minnesota
- The Arc Minnesota
- Friends of the Boundary Waters
- Save the Boundary Waters
- Literacy MN
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund
- The Aurora Center
Opportunities to further your education in advocacy and public policy:
U of M Community Engaged Learning Courses
- PA 1401: Public Affairs: Community Organizing Skills for Public Action
- SW 1501: Introduction to Peace Studies
- SW 2501W: Introduction to Social Justice
- SW 3501: Theories and Practices of Social Change Organizing
- ENGL 3505: Protest Literature and Community Action
- ENGL 3506: Social Movements and Community Education
- SUST 3017: Environmental Justice
- COMM 3614: Advanced Public Policy and Debate
- Check out all of the Community Engaged Learning Courses offered at the University of Minnesota HERE!
MNCASA Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault https://www.mncasa.org/public-policy/
ACLU Minnesota https://www.aclu-mn.org/en/take-action
Arc Minnesota https://arcminnesota.org/public-policy/advocacy-toolkit/
Outfront Minnesota Justice for George Floyd - https://www.outfront.org/black-lives-matter
Friends of the Mississippi River https://www.fmr.org/advocate
Eureka! Recycling https://eurekarecycling.org/takeaction/
Violence Free Minnesota https://www.vfmn.org/get-involved
National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) Minnesota https://namimn.org/advocacy-and-laws/engage-elected-officials-and-candidates/
Friends of the Boundary Waters https://www.savetheboundarywaters.org/volunteer
Save the Boundary Waters https://www.friends-bwca.org/online-action-hub
Minnesota Library Association https://cqrcengage.com/alamn/?0
Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity https://www.tchabitat.org/virtualhillday?hsCtaTracking=4342d614-d2e7-4cb5-83de-a6a6ea141c02%7C65262de0-d053-4e4b-9ffd-015f482d0095
Literacy MN https://www.literacymn.org/advocacy
Minnesota Alliance for Youth https://mnyouth.net/about/advocacy/
Video: "Learning to be an Advocate" - Digital Story by Kate Denney
Video: "Possibilities" - George Floyd Global Memorial